Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sleep well, sweet beauty

On Thursday, we had to let Lucy go. After almost 16 years of love, companionship, and loyalty, her little body was just too tired to go on.

I love all of my dogs, more than anyone will ever know. But once in a while, one of them wiggles into your heart and settles in just a tiny bit more than the others. That was Lucy. From the day I saw her - a scraggly puppy with wild eyes, a keen determination, and the playfulness of four puppies - I knew she was meant to be with me.

For nearly 16 years, she followed me everywhere. When I was sick, she was by my side. She perched behind me on the top of the sofa while we watched TV. She threw herself between me a dogs three times her size if she ever thought I was in danger. And she just plain loved me, as I did her. I can still feel the softness of her coat, her kisses, and - most of all - her never-ending love and devotion.

My heart is in pieces without her, but I know we'll meet again. Rest my beautiful girl. I'll love you forever. I'll never forget you and I hope you never forget me.








10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. She really was a beauty - in body and soul. Sending hugs and love.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  2. 16 years is a long time and their lives become entwined with yours. We know how when a strong bond is made it breaks the heart when it is broken. The sky is a little brighter tonight as another angel lights it up like a star. We send gentle hugs and love. Run free and fast sweet Lucy over the rainbow bridge.
    Our thoughts and prayers to you.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so very sorry, Cindy. Surely you and Lucy will meet again one day. Thank you for loving her so much, and so well.

    Big hugs, purrs and prayers from all of us.

    Kevin, Tracey, Moosey, Gracie and Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about Lucy and how hard this is for you. We will have our paws crossed for you. Lucy is in your heart forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes us so sad when someone leaves for the bridge. We KNOW she'll be missed for a long time.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful girl. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear this but 16 years WOW. For sure you have lots of precious memories of Lucy ... and will be remembered forever. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sixteen years is a long time. It's never long enough though, no matter how long we have them. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  9. never ever is it long enough but I am glad you had 16 years together

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very sorry. Words can't express how sorry I am for you. I hope this made sense.....


    She is a beautiful dog. She'll live on in your heart forever. May you find peace and comfort. (((((HUGS)))),
    Ragdoll Mommy~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...